Success, Not Excess Meeting
This group provides a safe and supportive space for UI students wanting to make or considering changes in their alcohol or other drug use. The group emphasizes success in academics, relationships, mental and physical health, and other goals through abstaining or reducing alcohol and other drug use. The group operates from a “no pressure” approach by encouraging discussion of shared experiences and achieving success on campus by removing the barriers created by substance use.
Is this group right for you?
The best way to know is to check it out, but answering yes to the following questions might indicate benefit from the group:
- Is my use interfering with my academic performance? My work performance? My relationships?
- Do I use for a “pick me up”? Out of boredom? Because I’m stressed? To fit in with others?
- Do I ever regret my actions after using? Blackout and not remember my actions? Get into fights after drinking/using? Get angry or embarrassed when others bring up my drinking/using?
In this group we will:
- Learn alternative paths to have fun, socialize, and cope with stress outside of substance use.
- Identify problems created by using and establish skills to avoid/prevent those problems.
- Explore connections between our emotional experiences and our substance use.
- Support each other as we work towards reducing harmful outcomes of excessive alcohol and other drug use and celebrate the successes that follow making changes.
This is not a treatment group and will not satisfy legal or other disciplinary mandates. This is a “drop-in” group with no attendance requirements. We ask students not attend the group under the influence.
NOTE*** If you are in an Introduction to Substance Use course and need to attend a recovery event, this is not an appropriate meeting to attend. For more information, email Karen Grajczyk.
All dates for this event:
Tagged as: recovery alcohol drugs help support
Categorized under: Meeting
Questions about this event? Contact Karen Grajczyk.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all University of Iowa–sponsored events. If you are a person with a disability who requires a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this program, please contact Karen Grajczyk in advance at UI-CRP@uiowa.edu.